“You are not going out with that boy unless his parents are driving and that's that. I'm not just Spitting Grits here, young lady!”

. . . My father, John Thomas Cravey, USAF, to me in 1956.
Bookmark and Share

The Day after Memorial Day: Reflecting on Drug Addiction’s Ultimate Cost

Shortly ago, I tried to go to Katie Granju’s blog at mamapundit.com and found that it had been suspended

I feared that Katie’s precious son Henry had not survived his terrible drug overdose and horrific beating, which left him with severe neurological damage.

(See the May 6, 2010, post “Living Addictions” categorized under Drug Addiction for some background information.)

A friend of mine who has also been following Katie’s horrendous ordeal sent me the screen shot of yesterday’s page from her blog; it clearly indicates he did not survive, although I am trying to further verify this awful news.

Granju

It seems that perhaps millions of people from all over the world have been have been checking with mamapundit.com during this time and sending very supportive comments daily to Katie and her family.

I checked with Katie’s blog early Sunday morning and was horrified to see that H. had taken such a serious turn for the worse; I was preparing for my three-year-old granddaughter’s birthday party that afternoon, but sat stunned; I cried over this development. It did not look hopeful.

My husband and I have full custody of Joanna Leigh because of our daughter’s quarter-of-a-century-long drug use. She also had recently overdosed and was sent by ambulance to the ICU. It could so easily been my own daughter, whose life I have feared for many, many times, including the several times she has worked for the West Alabama Narcotics unit wearing a wire to keep from going to jail. I knew she could have been killed. The drug life is a dangerous horrifying life.

Katie’s son, Henry, has paid the ultimate price, just as millions of other drug users in America have done and will continue to do until we Americans can come to terms with what drug use and addiction really are and how we all pay.

We in America, even those of us who don’t have an immediate family member who has suffered, even died, from drug use, including alcohol and prescription drug use, can start now dealing with the truth of how we all pay from this scourge. And there isn’t a better time than today – the day after we celebrated Memorial Day. After all, America has been waging a futile War on Drugs now for almost half a century.

Memorial Day carries strong emotional feelings for me. My father was a fighter pilot in World War II (see the June 22, 2009, “Real Father's Day Part II” post, categorized under Grandparents, for a brief account of his war experiences).

My brother lost his life in Vietnam in 1970. Visiting the War Memorial in Washington D.C. was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.

The Associated Press recently ran an investigative piece on how America’s War on Drugs has been  futile and an utter failure. I intend to deal with their findings in later posts. We must now confront this truth and find a way to deal with America’s drug use effectively. What better time than to begin on June 1, after we honor those who have given their lives in all our wars.

I am going to continue to look for more information about Henry Granju. If anyone can provide information, many of us will appreciate it.

This morning I went and sat on my patio, where I often go to soothe my soul. My deepest heartfelt sympathies go out to Katie Granju and her family, as well as to all those who have suffered this kind of grief.

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Henry has indeed passed away. Their facebook 'get well' page for him has been updated to 'rest in peace we love you'. That's all the info I have.

Unknown said...

Joanna,

By now you probably know that Katie Granju's precious son Henry has passed on.

I do not know Katie, nor have I read her blog--until today. But I've often read her posts to our neighborhood Yahoo group and have known her to say "hi" to. As you can imagine, our neighborhood here is traumatized...

My heart also goes out to you ...my husband died from cirrhosis of the liver. He had been sober for nine years. He'd battled drug addiction and alcohol since college. His father was an alcoholic who joined AA when he was in his 60s. His dad lived to be 80, still sober. My husband died at age 54.

I agree with you that we our country has to stop ignoring the dangers of substance abuse in all its forms. When I see commercials on TV for beer, I cringe. How many people know that cirrhosis is a leading cause of death in this country? I'll never forget having to call my MIL to tell her that her only child was dead.

My parents were both in WWII, as well, although not career military. My mother, from Chattanooga, was one of the first WACs..chosen to prove that women could serve in the military. I had uncles and cousins serve in WWII and Korea. One of my best friends died in Vietnam.

This is the first time I've posted to a blog. I know this comment is long. But your writing touched me...Thank you.

monkeyfish said...

If you google "mamapundit", the link for her blog should have a "cached" option that will let you see her last few posts.

Tonya Lynn said...

Here is the text from a post at 7:24pm tonight - I am unable to access her website as well but it appeared in my google reader.

~Tentative plans:

10 am service this Saturday at St. John’s Episcopal Cathedral in Downtown Knoxville
Please don’t wear black – wear something that makes you feel happy
Please bring fresh picked and fresh cut flowers for all of the children at the service to lay at the altar

Casual open House/Potluck luncheon to follow at our house – beginning at noon
Directions available by email or at the service

Our family is starting what we hope will become a permanent, endowed fund that will provide scholarships for families who cannot afford to pay for needed drug and alcohol treatment programs for their children. In lieu of flowers, we ask that you remember our boy and his struggles by considering a donation to:

The Henry Louis Granju Memorial Scholarship Fund
c/o Administrator: James Anderson
Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
2000 Meridian Blvd.
Suite 290
Franklin, TN 37067

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Spittin' Grits. Copyright © 2009 Joanna C. Hutt. All rights reserved. | Contact