“You are not going out with that boy unless his parents are driving and that's that. I'm not just Spitting Grits here, young lady!”

. . . My father, John Thomas Cravey, USAF, to me in 1956.
Bookmark and Share

Mother’s Day Once Removed

Today I got two Sam’s Club-sized bags of mulch and one Sam’s Club-sized bags of potting soil. My son knows me! I was glad to see his face this morning.

From my daughter, I got a letter from jail, and I’m choosing not to read it today. She is in jail yet again on drug-related charges, very serious ones this time; she is in jail yet again on Mother’s Day. (See the April 29 post “Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 2:50 p.m. Part I.” Part II will be posted this week.)

Meanwhile, I’m continuing to check Katie Granju’s updates at http://mamapundit.com/ on her son’s progress from entering the hospital in critical condition last week to his beginning therapy in the last couple of days. (See the previous post “Living Addictions.)

Today on Mother’s Day, I’m thinking about being a grandparent and a parenting grandmother. Tomorrow, Monday, would be a good time to get Eye of My Heart: 27 Writers Reveal the Hidden Pleasures and Perils of Being a Grandmother, just issued in paperback by HarperCollins.

EyeofHeart

For a review and summary of contributing authors and grandmothers, see the Nov. 14, 2009, Post “At Home, Not Alone.”

A New York Times bestseller, Eye of My Heart is edited by Barbara Graham with an introduction by Mary Pipher. Some prescient compliments follow:

“Truth telling with dollops of love.”--O, The Oprah Magazine

“In illuminating, unsentimental essays, 27 writers offer up insights on the tricky art of grandmothering.” --People

“So many different perspectives and vantage points are woven seamlessly that no matter what their personal relationship to the word ‘grandmother’ is, readers will find much to make them laugh out loud—and also to break their hearts.” --Christian Science Monitor

“Realistic and gutsy, these essays offer encouragement and instruction to those of us who have stepped into new roles as elders. They are as rich with laughter as with sobering insights about the way we live now.” --LiteraryMama.com

“These stories are so fresh and fundamental, wrenching and joyful, that one is left feeling that the subject has never been cracked open before.”--Harriet Lerner, Ph.D., author of The Dance of Anger and The Mother Dance.

“Finally, a look at grandmothering that is decidedly unsentimental. These clear-eyed essays, written by some of the country's foremost writers, offer humor and insight as they take on the multigenerational lives many of us now lead.”--Cokie Roberts, author of We Are Our Mothers’ Daughters

This new paperback edition, as well as the hardcover edition, is available online book sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and at local book retailers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Spittin' Grits. Copyright © 2009 Joanna C. Hutt. All rights reserved. | Contact